Michael Fishman, A Story From One of Our Guests
This week in June marks the 5th month I’ve been with the Pan Pacific Vancouver.
In my short time here, I’ve come to understand what makes this hotel special. Some examples include: the comfortable rooms, great restaurants, live entertainment and events, and of course – the views.
But what I really find separates this hotel from the rest is its commitment to customer service. This personal diligence is what guests continuously mention when they stay at the hotel and is often the primary feedback I receive through our social media channels.
Every so often, I receive stories from our readers on the great experiences they’ve had at the hotel. Just this week, Michael Fishman, one of our Twitter followers, sent in a story on his stay at the Pan Pacific which took place almost 20 years ago.
Here is Michael’s story along with some recent guest feedback and messages to our staff:
Hey, Rishad, thanks for writing to me on Twitter. My customer service story dates back to 1992 (pretty sure that’s the year) and is a story I still tell about the Pan Pacific.
I arrived late in the evening for a stay of 4 nights and was told at the
registration desk that the Pan Pacific was hosting a conference and had
been unable to hold my reserved room. I was extended the following offer
to make up for it: I could stay for the first 2 nights in the penthouse
suite at the Pan Pacific for the normal room rate, and then I would be
moved for the last 2 nights to the Four Seasons Hotel, which would be paid
for by the Pan Pacific. I thought this was more than fair, and accepted.
After 2 nights in the huge and glorious suite at the Pan Pacific, I was
picked up by limousine and taken to the Four Seasons. In my room at the
Four Seasons was a basket of wine, cheese and fruit from the manager of
the Pan Pacific apologizing for my trouble.
And when I returned home to New Jersey, I received a telephone call from
the manager of the Pan Pacific, apologizing again for my trouble and
checking to see that all of the alternative arrangements had turned out
It was an amazing demonstration of coordinated response and customer care
that would hold up perfectly in today’s high-touch service culture.
Thanks for being interested in my story. Best wishes, Michael Fishman
Michael Fishman Consulting
Comments Left by Guests:
- “Beautiful hotel, great views, excellent location, terrific staff!”
- “Excellent prompt service”
- “The reservation team is superb and always a pleasure to work with!”
- “Even at 1:30am, everyone I dealt with was very welcoming and efficient. It was a pleasant arrival”
- “Keep it up! Great place, great city”
- “The room was much better than expected. There were so many little things we thought were a nice touch, Eg. Robes to wear, or umbrella in the room (both of which we did used!)”
- “Extremely pleasurable and professional”
- “My stay at the Pan Pacific was exceptional – thank you!”
- “Helpful, followed up, delivered on commitments”
- “I had a good experience with an employee who answered my call about my internet difficulties. He was very helpful and worked to get my problem solved quickly.”
- “Your staff (particularly the bell staff) was always ready and willing to do what seemed above and beyond. Very much appreciated!”
- “I would love to know the manufacturer and model # of the mattress in my room. For the first time in a long time I did not wake up with back pain which I attribute to the mattress which was very comfortable. Hotel robes were also very nice.”
- “The room was very clean and larger than expected with a sitting area. We loved the view!”
- “The entire experience of being at the Pan, from the moment one walks in the door, to the time of check-out, is unforgettable. Thanks again for all that you and your staff do for us!”
- “It was our honeymoon and our server brought us a small box of chocolates. That was very nice and we really appreciated it.”
- “Having stayed at the Pan many times in the past I have been used to excellent service so the many ‘as expected’ comments are simply statement of the high quality of service that I have gotten in the past and continue to get during every visit”
And a few messages to the staff…
I was thrilled with the service we received from Jenny Hobbs and her team. I will definitely be holding events with the Pan Pacific in the future.
Thank you Dominic [Monet] for making the IBM GIO Event absolutely perfect. You went above and beyond the call of duty and did everything with a smile. Our event was executed flawlessly and our attendees were extremely happy.
Thank you Cameron [Johnson] for taking care of my event this week. It went really well and I heard only good things. It is so nice when you plan these functions to know that everything will be taken care of and everyone will be impressed. Thank you!!
The Pacific Club Manager, Houshan Alizadeh, was very helpful and very professional. He is a valuable asset to your hotel. Astrid Huber is one of the best I have worked with the past few years and is also a very valuable part of your team.
A Thank You from NBC
Lastly, I sign out with a kind message left from Susan Stogel of NBC. Her and her entire NBC staff stayed at the Pan Pacific during the 2010 Winter Olympics.
[…]As you know, these were my 9th Olympics with NBC, and my 30th year in
the hotel, hospitality and meeting planning business. I have never –
and that’s a long time – had such a satisfying relationship with a
partner of any type as I did with the Pan Pacific Vancouver.
Without gracious and efficient service, no hotel can be world-class.
People and training make the difference. And your people are, quite
simply, the most outstanding group of hoteliers I’ve ever had the
privilege to work with.
From the first day we began working together, I felt an unprecedented
partnership and mutual respect for each other’s challenges and goals.
You and your team recognized early on that the Olympics are like no
other event, and you demonstrated an open-minded philosophy that
allowed us to work through some challenging operational situations.
The only downside to working with you is that now I am spoiled forever.
I pity the poor hotel we choose for London 2012 because I will expect
the same perfection we had with you.
– Susan Stogel NBC