Earth Day Canada: Top 10 Actions To Help the Environment
Celebrated every April 22, Earth Day is the largest, most celebrated environmental event worldwide.
This year, over 6 million Canadians will join 1 billion people in over 170 countries in staging events and projects to address local environmental issues. Nearly every school child in Canada will take part in an Earth Day activity.
The Pan Pacific is a proud supporter of Earth Day Canada and will do its part to help the initiative by reducing energy consumption during Earth Day.
Throughout British Columbia, there are several events taking place to aid in the effort.
This year I’ll be heading down to Richmond Center with a few friends to donate old computer electronics to the Electronics Recycling & Donations ROUND-UP. By donating electronics to the ERA, you can benefit your local community, many charities and non profit organizations, as well as the environment.
Top 10 Actions to Help the Environment
Presented by Earth Day Canada, here are 10 ways you can help the environment:
1. Smart Shopping
“Buy what you need, not what you want”
- Consider renting and borrowing things that are seldom needed
- Buy used items from garage sales and second-hand stores
2. Simple Savers
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs
- Use aerators on faucets and shower heads
- Weatherstrip windows and door
3. Transportation Alternatives
- Walk, cycle, car pool and use public transportation
- When driving, reduce idling and maintain correct tire pressure
- Consider car sharing programs or renting
4. Food Choices
- Choose local and organic foods that are in season, and support local food producers
- Eat less meat
5. Washing and Drying
- Wash full loads of clothes in cold water and hang to air dry
6. Heating and cooling
- For summer air conditioning, set your thermostat to 24°C or 25°C
- For winter heating, set your thermostat to 19°C or 20°C
- Install ceiling fans and programmable thermostats
7. Close to Home
- Vacation, travel and work as close to home as possible
8. Bathroom Basics
- Take short showers instead of baths
- Close water taps while brushing your teeth
9. Careful Cleaning
- Choose natural, non-toxic cleaning products
- Make simple, natural cleaners with ingredients like vinegar, baking soda and wat
10. Don’t Discard
- Donate, reuse and recycle items before throwing them into the trash
- Harmful materials like chemicals, batteries, electronics, etc. should be taken to local hazardous waste depots or recyclers
What are you doing to contribute on Earth Day? Let me know in the comments!